HTN | Community Update | 3/2
New HTN Content
HTN @ ATA Conference
We’ll be attending the upcoming ATA Conference in San Antonio next week. If you’ll be there, sign-up for this event we’re co-hosting with Foley on Sunday night! Sign up here.
HTN ELI5 Channel
We are testing something new! We've always been fans of the "Explain like I'm 5" (ELI5) concept and decided to try it out ourselves to help explain topics across healthcare. Check out the channel below!
ELI5 Slack Channel
In case you missed them, here are highlights of a few interesting conversations from different channels:
- A couple of helpful explanations of ‘reference-based pricing’ in our new #eli5 channel – with a good thread defining RBP as pricing methodology vs. a payment methodology.
- Following a recent Eric Topol write-up on the future of the hospital-at-home model, HTNers debate whether his thesis on the need for more multicenter randomized trials is really the unlock for broader adoption of the model.
- An interesting back and forth between HTNers on the downfall of digital mental health platform Mindstrong – discussion around what could have been done differently to avoid this outcome.
- Humana’s recent decision to exit its employer business raised some eyebrows across the community. Crew consensus: while the news isn’t all that surprising given Humana has been alluding to a refocusing on the core business (MA), it is a big deal for those businesses affected.
- A good conversation around the details and implications of Privia entering Connecticut through the formation of an ACO with Community Medical Group – a 1,100 provider size group.
A collection of some questions with thoughtful answers from the community:
- Does anyone have good resources that explain the revenue mechanics of Medicaid? Mainly for MCO? A couple resources in the thread below.
- What are folks using out there for building text based experiences for async consultations? and video based experiences for sync consultations? Nabla, Spruce Health, Sendbird, and Twilio are mentioned here.
- Does your team plan to adopt ChatGPT or other AI tools soon? If yes, to solve what problem? If not, why not?
- What are some interesting ways you've sourced competitive intel in the past? A few suggestions in the thread below.
- The question of the decade: With all the discussions in the last months about healthtech being venture backable, what segments of healthtech do you think are best for pure (or almost pure) software play?
- What are some podcasts people listen to better understand healthcare broadly? Gist Healthcare Daily, America Dissected, Healthcare is Hard are suggested here.
Here we highlight any upcoming and recent events, both within the community and key events outside the community:
- HTN @ ATA. We’ll be co-hosting an event at the ATA Conference in San Antonio on the evening of March 5th. If you’re attending ATA, sign up here.
Upcoming Local HTN Meetups:
- Atlanta is hosting its next health tech happy hour on March 23rd. Learn more here.
- Austin is getting a few health tech nerds together for dinner and drinks on March 12 at Easy Tiger. Learn more in the thread here.
- Bay Area - SF is coming together for a St. Paddy’s Happy Hour on March 17 at 4:30pm. Sign up here.
- Connecticut is in the early stages of planning another meet up following the success of its holiday happy hour. Join in on the convo here.
- Dallas is hosting the HTN Dallasites at Manhattan Beer Project on March 9 at 6pm. You can learn more in the thread here.
- London is already curious about the next HTN happy hour! Contribute to the discussion here.
- Milwaukee is brewing up its next health tech meetup. Join in on the convo here.
- NYC is putting together a regular cadence of HealthTech Dinner Clubs. You can learn more and sign up here.
- Philadelphia is planning a health tech happy hour in March. Learn more here.
- Raleigh-Durham is deciding on a date for its next happy hour event. Learn more here.
- Socal - LA is gathering for a health tech meetup at Mamma’s Brick Oven Pizza on March 10 at 7pm PT. Learn more here.
- Tampa is organizing a HIMSS Health IT Networking social on March 16. Learn more here.
Past Local Meet-Ups:
- Cincinnati hosted a handful of Nerds to discuss all things primary care innovation, led by folks from Pearl Health. How nerdy! Love it!
- Miami got a spectacular crew together for another health tech networking walk around Brickell Key. What a view!
Note: Make sure you search the Slack channels for the local/city specific channels to be aware of the meetups.