Community Update | 7/25
HTN's Community Update
Where we keep track of things going on in the community because everyone has day jobs and it can be hard to keep up with all of the Slack messages.
New HTN Content
Perspective on UHG's Q2 2022 Earnings Call
UHG posted another solid quarterly earnings, a reflection of the seemingly unstoppable force that is UHG’s flywheel. In this article, we share our perspective on various topics including thoughts on the expansion into home health, provider acquisition activity, Optum Venture’s investment momentum, and more.
Link to Article.
HTN Discussions: Reactions to the HTN / OMERS Funding Survey
Last week we hosted a community discussion with HTN members Chrissy Farr (OMERS Ventures) and Alyssa Jaffee (7wire Ventures) to discuss the findings of our market conditions survey. Check out the most important takeaways from our dialogue in this summary.
Link to Recording & Summary.
The Amazon / One Medical Deal
In this article, we share our perspective on the key strategic questions posed by Amazon’s announced $3.9 billion acquisition of One Medical.
Link to Article.
Care Ops Survey
Reminder for those at a care delivery organization in a role that touches clinical operations, we have a survey out to get a view of the “State of CareOps”. We'd greatly appreciate 10 minutes of your time to fill out the survey.
Link to Survey.
In case you missed them, here are highlights of a few interesting conversations from different channels:
- In one of the longest HTN slack threads ever, members hashed out the implications of the biggest news in healthcare this week – Amazon’s announcement to acquire One Medical.
A discussion on the recent layoffs at Olive raised an interesting question on who should really be bearing the brunt of poor business performance in growth stage digital startups conducting massive layoffs – the employees or company leadership.
HTN members pieced together a rather promising story arc from slack on the evolution of patient-focused specialty pharmacies (such as HouseRx).
A chart floating around the Twittersphere depicting life expectancy vs. healthcare expenditure by country sparked a lengthy dialogue on the causes for the disappointing (yet unsurprising) correlation in the US.
A thoughtful brainstorm in the #new-company-ideas channel discussed various challenges and business models to help improve and streamline care management for family caregivers.
A collection of some questions with thoughtful answers from the community:
- Does anyone have experience with claims analysis to show product/service ROI? Nice discussion on best practices here – one suggestion that building an ROI model from peer reviewed studies is likely a better route.
- What RCM vendors are folks using for digital health? Enter Health, Candid Health, Apero were all mentioned.
- What platforms are people using for SMS and how are they HIPAA compliant? Sparked a good discussion on the level of transparency for consent in terms of service for chat functions needed for health apps.
- Does anyone have good open-source company culture resources? Kona, Levels, and Hubspot were all mentioned as companies with quality content here.
- Does anyone have an effective deck for selling to health plans? Really thoughtful debate on best practices to pitch to payors.
- Some good ol’ fashioned HTN teamwork being displayed in this thread on best solutions to verify patient insurance data for claims management.
Here we highlight any upcoming and recent events, both within the community and key events outside the community:Upcoming Events:
- HTN Topic Discussion: Amazon / One Medical Takeover; Thu, July 28th@ 10am CT. We'll be hosting an open community discussion about the recent One Medical/Amazon acquisition announcement. No slides, no notes, just hot takes/debates! Register Here.
- HTN Happy Hour (45 min) - Speed Meets; Thu, Aug 4th @ 3pm CT. As always, we'll "embrace the awkward" and do several ten-ish minute speed meets. Register Here.
- HTN Topic Discussion: CMS Physician Payment Proposed Rule Discussion; Thu, Aug 11th @ 2pm CT. Lisa Bari and Nathaniel Lacktman are going to help host a discussion on the key takeaways and implications of the proposed rule spawning from this Slack thread. Register Here.
Upcoming Local HTN Meetups:
- Chicago has a summer happy hour on July 28th @ 5pm starting at MATTER and potential heading to River Walk. Link.
- Austin crew is putting together a happy hour on July 26th @ 6pm CT at Lazarus Brewing. Link.
- Boston has put together a networking event on 7/26 at Blue Owl with OpenLoop, Healthie, and Silicon Valley Bank. Link.
- SoCal sent out an invite for a happy hour on July 26th in Culver City with BioscienceLA. Link.
Note: Make sure you search the Slack channels for the local/city specific channels to be aware of the meetups.
Housekeeping / Channel Adds:
The place to keep a pulse on the living, breathing, thriving community that is HTN. Here we will provide updates on community happenings, new channels, and more.
- #music-memes-mayhem is a spot to post our individually bad tastes in music, compete for meme crowns, and engage in general non-healthcare related mayhem.
- #marketing is a place to post, discuss, and ask about all things marketing from b2b to b2c and everything in-between.
- #user-experience is the room where we design for different users of digital health products – patients, providers, employers.
- #celebrations-and-fun is a place to post things that give us joy – babies, marathon finishes, conquering a fear, and more.
- #clinicalops is a spot to chat, debate, and share all things clinical and care ops.
Important Links / Reminders:
- HTN Jobs Board (if you want to post roles on the HTN jobs board to reach a broader audience than the Slack channel)
- Previous Weekly Newsletters / Other Content
- Member Directory
- Updated Slack Housekeeping Items (click 'Pinned' in the channel)
- HTN Office Hours Scheduling (chat with us about careers, pitch feedback, or really anything you want)