Community Update | 9/8
HTN's Community Update
Where we keep track of things going on in the community because everyone has day jobs and it can be hard to keep up with all of the Slack messages.
In case you missed them, here are highlights of a few interesting conversations from different channels:
- Following the news of 98Point6’s recent platform licensing pivot, members discuss the implications of potentially seeing more telehealth companies follow suit and what it means for care outcomes.
- After a WSJ article critiquing celebrity Medicare sales pitches was released, HTNers brainstormed a list of other health tech companies advertising in the ~wild~.
- A less-than-pleasant experience at a retail clinic for an HTNer highlighted the unfortunate discrepancy that can exist between expectations and reality of care model innovation. Reminds us of the massive gap between where we are and where we need to go in healthcare.
- And what you’ve all been waiting for…some quality dialogue from the HTN community on the pending Signify Health acquisition deal. Winner winner, chicken dinner for CVS!
- In response to a recent BI article, the group discusses Amazon Care’s downfall. In a particularly thoughtful comment, HTN member Samir Unni highlights the inability to reconcile tech’s “move fast and break things” culture with the fragile, long-tail dynamics of supporting patient care as an explanation for seeing Amazon’s failed attempt at building in healthcare itself.
A collection of some questions with thoughtful answers from the community:
- Can drug makers track prescription behavior at an individual physician level from vendors like IQVIA and Symphony Health Solutions? Interesting back and forth on the logistics of behavior tracking for pharma cos.
- Does anyone have a recommended provider directory or eligibility API? Several threads specifically on this topic tagged here – apparently HTN has been chatting a lot about provider directories!
- Anyone know good healthcare-specific online reputation management tools? PatientPop, Reputation.com, AskNicely, and others were mentioned.
- Would health tech founders be willing to pay to ensure their company’s product is following all compliance guidelines? A thoughtful conversation on what founders are and are not willing to invest in.
- Is there something like Slack that can be used for external conversations with patients and internal conversations with a care team? Spruce, Hucu.ai, and RingRx were mentioned in the thread.
- Can anyone recommend a lawyer with expertise in virtual-first providers? Husch Blackwell and Foley were mentioned as go-tos.
Here we highlight any upcoming and recent events, both within the community and key events outside the community:
- HTN Happy Hour (45 min) - Speed Meets; Thurs, Sept. 15th @ 10:30am CT. As always, we'll "embrace the awkward" and do several ten-ish minute speed meets. Register Here.
- State of CareOps 2022 - Survey Discussion; Wed, Sept. 28th @ 2:30pm CT. In partnership, CareOps and Health Tech Nerds surveyed 140+ professionals involved in clinical operations to find out what tools and practices they use to deliver high-quality care. CareOps will be hosting a virtual discussion to review the survey results. Sign up here.
Upcoming Local HTN Meetups:
- NYC is hosting a social on Sept 15 for health and biotech founders with the Co-Founder of Immunai attending as a guest speaker. Sign up in thread here.
- Miami is putting together a health tech networking walk around Brickell Key on Sept 15 @ 7pm ET. Meeting spot info and sign up in the thread here.
- Colorado is having a healthcare + tech + policy happy hour meetup in Denver on Sept 21. Sign up here.
- Atlanta is at it again with another happy hour on Sept 29 at New Realm. Sign up here.
- Local Meetups
- Amanda hosted London's first official HTN happy hour meetup. Furry friends and salsa dancing included!
Note: Make sure you search the Slack channels for the local/city specific channels to be aware of the meetups.
Housekeeping & People:
The place to keep a pulse on the living, breathing, thriving community that is HTN. Here we will provide updates on community happenings, new channels, and people profiles.
- #health-equity is a place where folks can connect and discuss all things health equity.
- #employer-digital-health is a channel to talk about health tech solutions that connect employers to providers.
- #hlth-2022 recently launched to countdown to HTLH 2022, connect with fellow attendees, and plan meet-ups surrounding the conference.
Important Links / Reminders:
- HTN Jobs Board (if you want to post roles on the HTN jobs board to reach a broader audience than the Slack channel)
- Previous Weekly Newsletters / Other Content
- Member Directory
- Updated Slack Housekeeping Items (click 'Pinned' in the channel)
- HTN Office Hours Scheduling (chat with us about careers, pitch feedback, or really anything you want)