Community Update 9/22
September 22, 2022
HTN's Community Update
Where we keep track of things going on in the community because everyone has day jobs and it can be hard to keep up with all of the Slack messages.
In case you missed them, here are highlights of a few interesting conversations from different channels:
- An encouraging thread discussing the implications of Google’s recent announcement to offer new search features that help individuals more easily navigate government benefits programs, such as Medicare and Medicaid.
- A recent back and forth on Twitter between Cerebral and DoNotPay regarding legal pushback on Cerebral’s cancellation practices sparked an interesting thread among members debating which company is in the right.
- As former Bolt CEO Ryan Breslow moves further into the industry with his new crypto healthtech startup, Love. HTNers discuss the feasibility of his company and the legitimacy of his intentions in a new space.
- Following the news of UHG’s approved acquisition of Change Healthcare, members discuss the potential negative impact this deal will have on the industry.
- In our new #news channel, the HTN crew discusses the value (or lack thereof) of companies offering “one-stop-shop” models for employers to access a range of health services – an increasingly attractive trend following years of disparate point solution offerings.
A collection of some questions with thoughtful answers from the community:
- Does anyone have recommendations for ways startups can better work with and get paid by FQHCs with lower budget restraints? A few creative suggestions in this thread.
- Are there any good resources or lists of provider groups that have risk-based contracts? The CMS website and list of ACO REACH participants were mentioned here.
- Any recommendations for a HIPAA compliant, multichannel CRM? Salesforce Health Cloud, Capable Health, Avon Health, and several others were highlighted.
- How do folks in a Client Success function define “client health”. A thread here on categorizing strong relationships versus unhealthy accounts.
- Does anyone have a reference for a good overview of the medical supply purchasing ecosystem? Multiple charts and resources in this thread.
- What are good examples of marketing campaigns that have been successful in enrolling and activating employees into a new healthcare service benefit? Several great suggestions on how to approach here.
Here we highlight any upcoming and recent events, both within the community and key events outside the community:
- HTN Nerding Out: A community discussion w/ Z on Ro; Fri, Oct 7th @ 11am CT. We’re hosting Ro’s CEO, Zachariah Reitano, to chat about how the direct-to-patient healthcare space is evolving, specifically digging into Ro’s ambitions, core competencies and the implications of the broader market conditions. Register here (note: this is an HTN Community only event)
- HTN Happy Hour (45 min) - Speed Meets; Thurs, Oct. 20th @ 10:30am CT. As always, we'll "embrace the awkward" and do several ten-ish minute speed meets. Register Here.
- HTN Book Club. The HTN Community has started a new book club led by our very own Josh Schwartz and Kevin Stephens. The group is kicking things off with a book selection and will plan a discussion in the coming month. Join the channel #topic-book-club and vote for your top book pick here.
Upcoming Local HTN Meetups:
- Portland is hosting a biotech and digital health happy hour on Oct 13 @ 5:30pm. More details and sign up in the link here.
- Minneapolis is putting together a health tech happy hour on Sept 29 @ 6pm at Surly’s. Sign up here.
- Chicago is organizing a fall happy hour with Upfront and Hyde Park Venture Partners on Oct 5. Sign up in the link here.
- Milwaukee is putting together a happy hour/dinner meet up on Oct 12. Connect with the local crew here.
- Seattle is working on getting the local health tech nerds together the week of Oct 3. More information in the thread here.
Note: Make sure you search the Slack channels for the local/city specific channels to be aware of the meetups.
Housekeeping / Channel Adds:
The place to keep a pulse on the living, breathing, thriving community that is HTN. Here we will provide updates on community happenings, new channels, and more.
Slack Housekeeping Management Updates:
- We announced some overall Slack Housekeeping Management updates in an effort to make it easier and more manageable for our members (you all) to navigate the space, connect with cool people, and improve the broader flow of our shared community. More details on this update in #general here.
Upcoming Local HTN Meetups:
- #connect-berlin is a place to connect and discuss with others in the Berlin-based health tech scene
- #topic-health-at-home is a channel to discuss home-based healthcare – trends, topics, and ideas included
- #topic-data-and-analytics is a room to chat about all things healthcare data and analytics
- #topic-sales is a place to get news, tips, and network on sales and revenue topics
Important Links / Reminders:
- HTN Jobs Board (if you want to post roles on the HTN jobs board to reach a broader audience than the Slack channel)
- Previous Weekly Newsletters / Other Content
- Member Directory
- Updated Slack Housekeeping Items (click 'Pinned' in the channel)
- HTN Office Hours Scheduling (chat with us about careers, pitch feedback, or really anything you want)