Community Update | 8/7
HTN's Community Update
Where we keep track of things going on in the community because everyone has day jobs and it can be hard to keep up with all of the Slack messages.
New HTN Content
Q2 Earnings Updates
In the spirit of earnings season, we put together a summary of our key takeaways from the last few weeks of earnings calls:
- Week of 7/25: Centene, Humana, & Teladoc. Link to Article.
- Week of 8/1: agilon, Alignment, Amwell, CVS, & Oak Street. Link to Article.
In case you missed them, here are highlights of a few interesting conversations from different channels:
- A thoughtful thread discussing the use (or avoidance) of gendered language in branding for women’s health companies.
- Some nice perspective on what patient engagement looks like and how it should be measured in our new #user-experience channel.
- An interesting question on whether health tech startups are the new middlemen between physicians and patients sparked a lengthy debate on the evolving role of providers in healthcare.
- A discussion surrounding a recent STAT article considers the limited progress of VBC and offers potential paths forward from HTN folks.
- The DEA recently updated its positioning to require clinicians to have a physical, in-state location to quality for a DEA license. The folks in our #behavioral-health channel chime in on what this means for the future of remote-first physicians.
A collection of some questions with thoughtful answers from the community:
- How are companies connecting with individuals to collect patient stories? Savvy Cooperative, Schlesinger, and Facebook groups were noted.
- Does anyone know what solutions payers use for member engagement/management? Salesforce HealthCloud, Genesis, and Pega were all mentioned as notable vendors.
- Has anyone hired a Chief Patient Experience Officer? Members ideate on what this emerging role looks like, who they report to, and what would make them successful.
- What tools are folks using to track in-app user behavior in a HIPAA-compliant manner? Freshpaint, Mixpanel, and Pendo were highlighted as relevant solutions.
- Are there any independent primary care providers using google docs to chart? Members share best practices and tradeoffs to using Gdocs versus traditional EHR.
- What are some successful strategies for managing cross functional work at an early-stage company? Various productivity tools were mentioned, including Coda, Asana, Notion, and more.
Here we highlight any upcoming and recent events, both within the community and key events outside the community:
- HTN Topic Discussion: CMS Physician Payment Proposed Rule Discussion; This afternoon, Thu, Aug 11th @ 2pm CT. Lisa Bari and Nathaniel Lacktman are going to help host a discussion on the key takeaways and implications of the proposed rule spawning from this Slack thread. Register Here.
- HTN Curated Connections: We are launching round 2 of the HTN curated networking on August 16th so be on the lookout for an opt-in email to get matched with a fellow HTNer. We received some great feedback from our first round matching ~500 people folks so be sure to check it out.
- Rock Health Summit; Wed, Sept 14th. Rock Health’s annual conference bringing together folks from technology, medicine, public health, and more. As an added bonus, our very own Kevin O’Leary will be a speaker.
Upcoming Local HTN Meetups:
- Austin HTNers are planning a happy hour on August 16th @ 6pm CT. Sign up in the Slack thread here. Link.
- Atlanta crew is hosting a meet up at Biggerstaff Brewing on August 25th @ 5:30pm CT. Link.
- Chicago is planning a panel featuring Trevor Price (CEO, Oxeon Partners) and Sebastian Caliri (Partner, 8VC) in partnership with Hopscotch Health on Sept 29th. Link.
- San Francisco is having a health tech hang on Sept 15th. Link.
- NYC is hosting a healthcare happy hour Sept 13th at Clinton Hall Fidi. Link.
Note: Make sure you search the Slack channels for the local/city specific channels to be aware of the meetups.
Housekeeping & People:
The place to keep a pulse on the living, breathing, thriving community that is HTN. Here we will provide updates on community happenings, new channels, and people profiles.
- #london is our newest geographic channel for all our London locals! P.S. One-third of the HTN crew (Amanda) will be in London until early October – be on the lookout for an upcoming HTN meet-up on that side of the pond.
- #rev-cycle-management is a place to discuss all things RCM. From patient registration to authorization to claims processing and more!
We're continuing to explore ways to help anonymously highlight community members thinking about a career move. Here is our next candidate profile:A product leader with multiple experiences in building from 0 to 1 and scaling to 50+ leveraging AI/ML across multiple spaces including remote patient monitoring and diagnostics. Seeking a Head of Product (or similar role) at an early stage company with a preference for oncology/diagnostics, digital therapeutics, women’s health, mental/behavioral health. See the full profile here.
Important Links / Reminders:
- HTN Jobs Board (if you want to post roles on the HTN jobs board to reach a broader audience than the Slack channel)
- Previous Weekly Newsletters / Other Content
- Member Directory
- Updated Slack Housekeeping Items (click 'Pinned' in the channel)
- HTN Office Hours Scheduling (chat with us about careers, pitch feedback, or really anything you want)