Community Update | 8/25
HTN's Community Update
Where we keep track of things going on in the community because everyone has day jobs and it can be hard to keep up with all of the Slack messages.
New HTN Content
HTN Discussion: CMS Physician Fee Schedule Proposed Rule Changes
A couple of weeks ago we hosted a panel discussion on the CMS Physician Fee Schedule Proposed Rule Changes. We posted our summary of the event here for HTN community members who are interested. Check it out!
In case you missed them, here are highlights of a few interesting conversations from different channels:
- With the news of Babylon dialing back its UK services, members discuss the advantages and disadvantages of building health tech companies in the US versus UK.
- After CVS’ announcement of its $18.9M investment in affordable homes in Ohio, folks discuss the financial rationale for CVS investing in housing in this manner.
- A candid thread discussing Marc Harrison’s decision to leave his role as CEO of Intermountain Healthcare to join General Catalyst. Folks debate reasons for departure and the potential impact he will have on health tech broadly in his new post.
- Following the drama of Signify Health’s buyer saga, we took a poll from the HTN group on who will win the high-profile auction – UHG won with the majority vote (57%), followed by CVS (22%), and Amazon (19%).
- Bind’s recent rebrand to Surest sparked an interesting thread amongst the group unpacking the benefits platform’s business model
A collection of some questions with thoughtful answers from the community:
- What EMR has the most built-in interoperability? A lengthy debate in our #buildersask ranking the best EMRs for integration. Elation, Canvas, and Healthie were mentioned.
- Would it be helpful for startups to post publicly accessible product demos? An interesting thought, along with commentary on the pros and cons of sharing open-source demos.
- Does anyone know of tools to convert CMS transparency JSON files to relational SQL tables? One member suggests leveraging SQL server OPENJSON.
- Does anyone have recs of PE firms investing in women’s/reproductive health and/or consumer medical devices? DWHP, Aldrich Capital Partners, and Linden Capital were mentioned as options.
- Who has a patient verification solution they love? Vouched, Jumio, and Persona came up as suggestions.
- What advice would you share with a company getting ready to enter the Medicare market? Fellow HTNers offer helpful starting points to consider.
Here we highlight any upcoming and recent events, both within the community and key events outside the community:
- HTN Happy Hour (45 min) - Speed Meets; Thurs, Sept. 15th @ 10:30am CT. As always, we'll "embrace the awkward" and do several ten-ish minute speed meets. Register Here.
Upcoming Local HTN Meetups:
- London is having a Health Tech Nerds happy hour on Sept. 7th at Juju’s Bar. Sign up here. Link.
- Miami is on fire, hosting 3 separate health tech meetups across the city tonight. Sign up in the Slack thread here. Link.
- NYC is hosting a dinner on Sept. 8th for technical health care founders/leaders in Flatiron. Link.
Note: Make sure you search the Slack channels for the local/city specific channels to be aware of the meetups.
Housekeeping & People:
The place to keep a pulse on the living, breathing, thriving community that is HTN. Here we will provide updates on community happenings, new channels, and people profiles.
- #startup-founders is a place where health tech startup founders can connect, discuss, and share resources with other founders.
Important Links / Reminders:
- HTN Jobs Board (if you want to post roles on the HTN jobs board to reach a broader audience than the Slack channel)
- Previous Weekly Newsletters / Other Content
- Member Directory
- Updated Slack Housekeeping Items (click 'Pinned' in the channel)
- HTN Office Hours Scheduling (chat with us about careers, pitch feedback, or really anything you want)