Community Update | 2/2
February 2, 2023
HTN's Community Update
Where we keep track of things going on in the community because everyone has day jobs and it can be hard to keep up with all of the Slack messages.
In case you missed them, here are highlights of a few interesting conversations from different channels:
- Following a recent KFF report finding that commercial insurance payments for telehealth were almost identical to in-person payments (only 6% of employers said they believe their costs have gone down because of telehealth) – the group tries to understand this outcome and debates how we really should think about success of telehealth.
- An interesting thread of Nerds’ reactions to virtual care startup Ro’s recent move into obesity care the obesity care space.
- On a related note, here’s a lengthy, yet spicy discussion on reactions to one HTN member’s opinion piece on how PCPs are getting unbundled by “pill mill” companies.
- The HTN crew unpacks the strategy of Amazon’s recent launch of RxPass, a Prime add-on giving members access to 80 prescription drugs for $5/month. With quickly growing activity in the space (Mark Cuban’s efforts, Ro, OptumRx), the Nerds debate real differentiations between these seemingly similar services.
- In response to CVS partnering with Rush University Health System to participate in ACO REACH, HTNers hypothesize the impact of this move.
A collection of some questions with thoughtful answers from the community:
- We are expanding the modalities in which we offer Telehealth to our customers - and we are experiencing higher no-show rates than we would like for certain segments. Has anyone in the space unlocked tactics to help reduce patient no-show rates?
- Any recommendations for HIPAA-compliant solutions for claims data analysis? RStudio, Snowflake, and Wellstack are mentioned here.
- Has anyone had success partnering with "PC as a service" companies to leverage their payor contracts for rapidly scaling services in new markets? Wheel and OpenLoop are discussed.
- What’s the specialty whose in-person primary care referral demand will be impacted first AND materially by AI / Chat GPT usage by a PCP?
- For those building value-based models, what measures have you used to measure outcomes? I'm completely dissatisfied with the metrics the industry has coalesced around (ER visits, admits, readmissions, etc).
- Anyone have tips for finding a good mentor or career coach? Working for a small team + being entirely remote has me feeling a bit...stuck(?) when it comes to growth. HTNers jump in on suggestions below.
Here we highlight any upcoming and recent events, both within the community and key events outside the community:
- Patients vs Profits Workshop; Thurs, Feb 9 @ 3:30pm ET / 12:30pm PT. We'll be hosting a workshop alongside fellow nerd Tara English to discuss tangible individual and company actions that folks can take in managing profits and patient interests in healthcare orgs. Please note: The session is full, but please fill out this form if you’re interested in participating in future events.
- Mental & Behavioral Health Curated Networking; Opt in by EOD tomorrow (Feb 2).We launched another round of the HTN curated networking - this one focused on connecting folks who are interested in the Mental & Behavioral Health space – whether that's as an operator, investor, or general Nerd looking to learn more about the sector! Sign up here.
- HTN Happy Hour (45 min) - Speed Meets; Fri, Feb. 17 @ 10:30am CT. As always, we'll "embrace the awkward" and do several ten-ish minute speed meets. Register here.
- HTN Workshop - Selling SaaS to Small Clinics; Fri, Feb. 10 @ 1pm CT. A few Nerds brought up getting together to discuss and share learnings on selling software tools to small clinics (in this thread). Please only sign up for this if 1) you have learnings or questions to contribute and 2) will actively participate. Register here.
- Healthie x OPTT x HTN Mental Health Tech Happy Hour in NYC; Wed, Feb. 15 @ 5:30pm ET. Join fellow mental health tech innovators and investors for lite bites, drinks, and conversations. Sign up here.
Upcoming Local HTN Meetups
- Atlanta is hosting another Health Tech Nerds happy hour on Feb 2 at 5:30pm. Register here.
- Dallas is putting together a HTN happy hour for the New Year. You can learn more in the thread here.
- NYC is hosting a happy hour event at Helen’s in Meatpacking on Feb 8 at 6pm. Learn more here.
- Philadelphia is hosting the Wharton Digital Health Day on UPenn’s campus on Feb 10. Expect a day of in-person panels and happy hour to follow. Sign up here.
- Raleigh-Durham is organizing a health tech meet up at Motorco on Feb 16. Sign up in the thread here.
- Seattle is spreading the HTN love and getting the locals together for a February HTN Happy Hour. Sign up here.
- SF - South Bay is reconnecting with some fellow nerds on Feb 3. Learn more here.
- Kellogg Crew is setting up a virtual HTN Kellogg Happy Hour on Feb 21. If you’re a Kellogg Alum and want to join, learn more here.
Past Local Meet-Ups
- Boston got the Health Tech Nerd community together for an evening of health tech chat and drinks.
- Portland is stepping outside the typical meet-up box exploring the beautiful, albeit chillier outdoors. Brrr!
Note: Make sure you search the Slack channels for the local/city specific channels to be aware of the meetups.
Important Links / Reminders
- HTN Jobs Board (if you want to post roles on the HTN jobs board to reach a broader audience than the Slack channel)
- Previous Weekly Newsletters / Other Content
- Member Directory
- Updated Slack Housekeeping Items (click 'Pinned' in the channel)
- HTN Office Hours Scheduling (chat with us about careers, pitch feedback, or really anything you want)
- HTN Vendor Discount List