Community Update | 11/3
HTN's Community Update
Where we keep track of things going on in the community because everyone has day jobs and it can be hard to keep up with all of the Slack messages.
New HTN Content & Events
Clinicians In Health Tech: The Journey From Clinical Medicine To The Startup World
In this week’s Deep Dive we interview a few clinicians in HTN on their journey transitioning from traditional clinical career paths to more "startup" environments. We’re grateful for our interviewees, Sara Gallo PA-C, Dr. Ivan Beckley, Dr. Afnan Tariq, Dr. Ziad Farah, and Dr. Aman Dhawan for taking the time to share their personal experiences and perspectives on what it has been like navigating their personal journeys from clinicians to the world of health tech - whether that be as a founder, employee, advisor, and more. Check out the full article below and, if you're a clinician, sign up for our follow-up discussion as well.
Article Link / HTN Virtual Discussion (Clinicians Only) Sign up
For more details on the Clinician event and a few other upcoming events we are hosting (HLTH Wake Up event, NYC Happy Hour, Speed meets), check out the events section below.
In case you missed them, here are highlights of a few interesting conversations from different channels:
- Babylon’s founder recently shared his biggest mistake was taking the company public via SPAC, prompting a discussion among HTNers about SPAC performance.
- Some HTN perspectives on a recent study reporting outcomes of a Stanford creating a virtual Emergency Department model during Covid.
- Following the news that Walgreens / VillageMD is exploring a deal to merge with Summit Health, the group brainstorms the likelihood and potential outcomes of the deal.
- HTNers discuss analysis from a recent study in JAMA Health Forum, reporting on lobbying dollar amounts spent by payors, providers, and pharmaceutical organizations, highlighting some very different data than a recent Trilliant report.
- An interesting thread on the economics and business model of Renee’s recent launch of 500Rx, a platform offering 500 drug types for $25/month.
A collection of some questions with thoughtful answers from the community:
- What are the best white-labeled solutions to run a telehealth practice with relatively small scale? Capable Health, Healthie, Canvas Medical, and others were mentioned.
- Does anyone here know how to get a list of licensed TPAs that run self-funded health plans for employers? HTNers share a few resources in the thread here.
- Are there general best practices for how providers (particularly private practices rather than hospitals/health systems) determine how much to charge insurance companies? An interesting back and forth answer here.
- Does anyone know of examples of a digital health company in the SUD space entering into a contract with a state Medicaid program or Medicaid managed care plan?
- What are the go-to sites for hiring nurses and medical staff? Nomad Health and Directshifts.com were mentioned.
Here we highlight any upcoming and recent events, both within the community and key events outside the community:
HTN Upcoming Events:
HTN Wake-up Event @ HLTH - Walk/Run Meet-up & Coffee Get Together on Tuesday 11/15; Register below for both/either event(s). Remember to add them to your calendars once signed up!
- 7:00 - 7:30am: Choose your own walk or run adventure led by Kurt Hildebrandt (starting place TBC depending on numbers). Register here.
- 7:30 - 9:00am: Wake Up Coffee Hour @ the Venetian (location TBC, space may be limited to first come first serve). Register here.
HTN Happy Hour (45 min) - Speed Meets; Thurs, Nov. 17th @ 3:30pm CT. As always, we'll "embrace the awkward" and do several ten-ish minute speed meets. Register Here.
HTN Virtual Discussion: Clinicians in Health Tech Speed Meets; As a follow up to our recently published Clinicians In Health Tech: The Journey From Clinical Medicine To The Startup World article, we are taking the opportunity to host a live discussion to give the clinician community a chance to meet, network, and ask questions of our interviewees. If you're a clinician and want to continue this conversation live on Dec 2nd with a group of clinical peers and the interviewees, join us here.
HTN x Capable Health x AlleyCorp NYC Holiday Healthtech Hang; Wed, Dec 7 @ 6pm ET. Come join HTN, Capable Health, and AlleyCorp for one last hoorah to close out 2022 and celebrate the holiday festivities. We will have a fireside chat, food, drinks, and plenty of fun conversations. Sign up here.
Upcoming Local HTN Meetups:
- Austin is hosting a health tech hang at Central Machine Works tonight at 6pm. You can learn more and sign up in the thread here.
- Atlanta is meeting up for health tech drinks + trivia tonight at 6pm. Sign up here.
- Miami is having a health tech walking meetup tonight at 7pm in Brickell Key. More information in the thread here.
- Mexico City is having a health tech meetup on Dec 6. You can learn more about the event here.
- San Fran crew is having a CareOps x HTN health tech meetup on Nov 10 at 6pm PT. Sign up here.
- Washington DC/Baltimore is planning an HTN meetup in the DC/Baltimore area. You can check it out and vote on the upcoming location here.
Note: Make sure you search the Slack channels for the local/city specific channels to be aware of the meetups.
Important Links / Reminders:
- HTN Jobs Board (if you want to post roles on the HTN jobs board to reach a broader audience than the Slack channel)
- Previous Weekly Newsletters / Other Content
- Member Directory
- Updated Slack Housekeeping Items (click 'Pinned' in the channel)
- HTN Office Hours Scheduling (chat with us about careers, pitch feedback, or really anything you want)