Community Update | 1/6
HTN's Community Update
Where we keep track of things going on in the community because everyone has day jobs and it can be hard to keep up with all of the Slack messages.
New HTN Content
HTN 2022 Wrapped & 2023 Predictions
In case you missed it over the holidays, we published two year end articles: 1) HTN 2022 Wrapped, recapping the themes of the 48 newsletters we sent in 2022 and 2) 2023 Predictions article, which surveyed ~90 healthcare nerds about what to expect for 2023. Check them out below.
2022 Wrapped Link | 2023 Predictions Link
In case you missed them, here are highlights of a few interesting conversations from different channels:
- Fellow HTNer Lukas Steinbock recently published this US Healthcare 101 Study Guide as a resource to help folks learn and come up to speed on all things healthcare - from payors to care delivery to policy and more. It’s a good starting point, and we’d love to see more HTNers contribute to it over time with their knowledge!
- The HTN crew discusses the unfortunate findings of a NYT article investigating how Ascension’s actions to cut jobs started its own staffing crisis, resulting in devastating outcomes for patients and providers alike.
- An interesting thread unpacking the findings of a JAMA study looking at a comparison of care quality metrics in Medicare FFS versus Medicare Advantage.
- Following rumors that Carbon Health is planning to license its own EHR tech, the group discusses the implications of such a move for the broader industry.
- HTNers debate the ethics and outcomes of academic hospital systems providing priority care access to donors, trustees, and other VIP patients after the NYT uncovered NYU Langone ER has been doing this for years.
- The HTN group reacts to the surprising news that BCNC lost North Carolina’s State Health Plan contract to Aetna after holding it for 40+ years.
A collection of some questions with thoughtful answers from the community:
- Is anyone building or using a record locator service based on claims data? I heard about one that can instantaneously look up where a patient has been seen.
- Interested to hear examples of how payors have driven members to providers the payor owns or invests in. Anything unique? Humana, Premera, and Kinwell are mentioned here.
- If you are a founder of a startup (Seed to Series C), how would you rank the following challenges: we need more funding (investor pitching/investor meetings), figuring out a path to profitability, codifying a MVP (do we build versus buy to get there?), getting meetings with buyers and closing contracts, marketing/brand awareness/sales team in terms of what you are prioritizing going into the new year? HTNers provide their rankings here.
- Anyone know why CMS BCDA only makes new claims available weekly? The group provides several reasons as to why here.
- Which types of hospital vendors interact with (or collect) bulk EMR data as HIPAA covered entities? How do they normally ingest and work with the data? CSV file uploads and connections to reporting databases are mentioned as methods here.
Here we highlight any upcoming and recent events, both within the community and key events outside the community:
- J.P. Morgan Health Tech Happy Hour; Wed Jan 11 @ 7pm PT. Join HTN, OPTT, Accorded, Pear Suite, Frame, Healthie, and Parsley Health for the biggest health tech happy hour of JPM 2023 to socialize with other health tech innovators and colleagues! Register Here.
- New Year, New Health Tech Hang; Tues, Jan 17 @ 6pm ET. HTN, CareOps & Elion are hosting a health tech hang to ring in the New Year at Grand Central Tech in NYC. Register Here.
Upcoming Local HTN Meetups:
- Austin is hosting a health tech mixer on Jan 26 at 6pm. Sign up here.
- Boston crew is organizing a happy hour event at a local brewery. You can learn more and provide input in the thread here.
- Dallas is putting together a HTN happy hour for the New Year. You can learn more in the thread here.
- London is trying to get a health tech meetup together for mid-January. You can learn more about the event here.
- Nashville is brewing up a health tech meetup for the week of Jan 9. You can learn more in the thread here.
- Raleigh-Durham is hosting a digital health happy hour in Chapel Hill on Jan 18. Sign up here.
- Socal is hosting the next LA Health Tech drinks on Jan 17 at 7:30pm PT in Santa Monica. Sign up in the thread here.
Past Local Meet-Ups:
- Denver got a sizable crew together for a holiday health tech meet up, check out the squad below.
- Atlanta does not miss a beat, hosting yet another monthly health tech hang - what a group!
- Seattle hosted several health tech nerds for a meetup at the Derby, inside a car and motorcycle shop - Medicare 101 presentation included!
Note: Make sure you search the Slack channels for the local/city specific channels to be aware of the meetups.
Important Links / Reminders:
- HTN Jobs Board (if you want to post roles on the HTN jobs board to reach a broader audience than the Slack channel)
- Previous Weekly Newsletters / Other Content
- Member Directory
- Updated Slack Housekeeping Items (click 'Pinned' in the channel)
- HTN Office Hours Scheduling (chat with us about careers, pitch feedback, or really anything you want)